Types of Massage and Bodywork
Janeen Stewart is a certified massage therapist, trained in several methods of massage and Bodywork. Each massage session is unique to the client, focusing on the client, focusing on their specific needs. The following list describes the types of massage she utilizes. Most often, the massage combines several of the methods listed below, and can take place on a table, floor mat, or massage chair.
- Swedish Massage – The most common form of massage, involves the use of oil on the skin and a variety of different strokes. It is used mainly for relaxation, improved circulation and to ease aches and pain.
- Shiatsu – A Japanese form of Physical Therapy, using acupressure and stretching. It relaxes muscles and restores energy.
- Reflexology – Massage of the feet, hands and/or ears. Stimulates the corresponding areas in the body.
- Deep Tissue – Uses strokes, pressure and stretching in order to reach underlying muscles and fascia. It helps with chronic muscular pain and injury rehabilitation and reduces inflammation-related pain caused by arthritis and tendonitis.
- Myofascial Release – Works with fascia to release restrictions and adhesions. Often used in conjunction with deep tissue method.